Followers

Wednesday, January 5, 2022

My Name is Steven

 I was sitting on my stairs, taking a break from bringing my luggage up the stairs. I had one more flight to reach my apartment. I was sitting between the second and third floors. The neighbors on the third floor have teenagers; their son has never spoken to me, not even a Hi or Good morning.

While I was taking the break, he came out of the apartment; when he turned, he looked down; and saw me and said, Hi Neighbor do you need some help? His words were like music to my ears; it seemed the doors of heaven opened. I would appreciate it -I told him. He came down, took my luggage, went up and, placed it in front of my apartment door. He came down and stopped in front of his apartment; I was still catching my breath. He looked at me and asked You don't have anyone to help you? I smiled and said No. Then, with a knot in my throat, I told him, my son, left to be with his family, died of COVID. 

I saw the flyer of your son next to the mailboxes; he was a nice guy. Yea, my baby, was a good kid. He looked at me and said, moms suffer a lot when they lose a child; I can tell you are suffering. I see it In your eyes when you pass by.

Yes, we do suffer, sweety; very much. I got up and started walking up the stairs. How was your Christmas ? he asked. It was pleasant and loving. I was with my children and family in Florida. And yours? I asked. It was ok; things were not like before, he said. By the way, what is your name? -  I asked. My name is Steven, he said. For a minute, my heart wanted to come out of my chest. I felt like I was going to collapse…That was my baby's name. His name was John Steven Ponce, I said. Steven's are good people, he said. They sure are sweety; they are the sweetest people. Thank you, Steven, for your help. I walked into my apartment to sit in my chair, look at Johnnies pictures on the wall, and cry myself to sleep. Waiting to see my Johnnie in my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment